Delicious caramel

A while back (sorry, keeping up this blog has proven a bit challenging the past few weeks :P) I dyed the last Bart&Francis merino skein in a gorgeous umber/caramel colour. You can't see it exactly in the finished skein, but I dyed it in a gradient, with three different dyebaths.



I dyed it with a specific pattern in mind. The yarn has a great stitch definition, and I bought this book a while back with a amazing shawl on the front. Here's the pattern that's on the cover of that book.... Isn't it just stunning? This yarn is going to be perfect for it :D

Photos by Hunter Hammersen

To get started, you'll need dye in the colour Burnt Umber, measuring spoons, mixing containers, some plastic or disposable bowls, some plastic tongs (or something to grab the yarn with), a large microwave safe dish and some gloves. I'm also duty bound to inform you to use a dust mask! Please read the 'dyeing' page to the left for more info on prep and materials.

I divided the skein in three more or less equal mini skeins, still attached, and I soaked them overnight in just water, no added vinegar. Taking three mixing containers, I divided two heaped teaspoons across the three containers. This comes down to about  7/8, 5/8 and 3/8 tsp in each. Adding about 250 ml of hot water to each, shake well to make sure all the dye powder is dissolved. I carefully poured the contents of each container in the bowls and then gently put the yarn in. Let the yarn soak for a while, turning once or twice to make sure the dye spreads evenly. When most of the dye has soaked in and the water is much lighter, scoop the three mini skeins of yarn with a bit of water in one large microwave safe dish. 






Cover with cling film, pop a few holes in it and cook in the microwave first for five minutes on high, then turn the yarn and cook again for five minutes on high. After that time the water should be clear and all the dye exhausted. I let it sit and cool down completely in the dish, then I rinsed it and gave it a soak in wool wash. Here are the pictures after it dried:




I'm just stunned how well this idea worked. Ofcourse, the real test is going to be how the finished shawl looks, whether the colours fade well into each other. I'm confident it'll look stunning, but luckily it'll be easy to dye in a solid colour if I'm not happy with the gradient in the shawl :)

Image via @rotblaugelb

Comments