Tealy heaven

This one I dyed the week before last, as a last minute birthday gift. It's a super soft, fingering weight 100% superwash merino I kettle- and tiedyed.  I hung it out to dry on a Friday afternoon and it was a gift on the next Saturday evening along with a card promising a shawl made out of it. I'd asked my friend earlier what her favourite colour was (which was turquoise), but it turned out a bit more green than turquoise :)



To get started, you'll need dye, measuring spoons, mixing containers, a cooking pot, some plastic tongs (or something to grab the yarn with) and some gloves. I'm also duty bound to inform you to use a dust mask! Please read the 'dyeing' page to the left for more info on prep and materials.

I soaked the yarn overnight in just water, no added vinegar. I filled the pot almost entirely, so there'll be enough water for the colours to spread and mix. For the first colour, I added 1/8 tsp of the colour Opal to a mixing container. Adding about 100 ml of hot water to the container, shake well to make sure all the dye powder is dissolved. I poured the dye in and stirred to make sure it distributed evenly. I then gently put the yarn in and stirred a bit. Turning on the heat, pop on the lid and wait for it to start simmering. Then turn the heat low and maintain the temperature for around 30 minutes. After that, the water will be clear. Wait a bit till you can handle the yarn and take it out, put a knot in the skein (not too tight) and mix up the next dye. Add around 1/2 tsp of the colour Kingfisher to a mixing container, add around 100 ml of hot water and shake before pouring it into the pot. Stir a bit before putting the knotted skein back, don't stir. Again, simmer for around 30 minutes. In my case some dye was still left in the dye bath. I saved most of it for the handdyeing I was planning in the afternoon, but you can also just add the next dye to the pot. Let it cool down again a bit, then lay the knot in the skein a bit differently (just in another place). So, add around 1/2 tsp of the colour Sage to a mixing container, add around 100 ml of hot water and shake before pouring it into the pot. Stir a bit before putting the knotted skein back, don't stir. Again, simmer for around 30 minutes. After this, some dye will likely be left in the pot. You can easily reuse this dye bath. 







I let it sit and cool down completely in the pot, then I rinsed it and gave it a soak in wool wash. Here are the pictures after it dried:




I know, everytime I dye a skein, I'm completely in love with it... But this one? This one has to be the most gorgeous yet... I've even started knitting with it already, stay tuned for my current works in progress, a finished scarf and my summer plans!


Comments